Sadly, the treatment of mental health problems in dogs is taken much more seriously than in cats. An anxious dog will often get help quickly due to destruction or noise issues. An anxious cat, by contrast, tends to suffer in silence. Even worse, when they do show signs they’re often blamed for it. Continue reading “Fear, Stress & Anxiety In Cats”
The biggest change to dog and cat ownership law ever will happen on July 1st. If you live in or have moved to SA, here’s how it will affect you and what you need to do. For everyone else, I think you’ll find this unique experiment very interesting. Continue reading “South Australia’s New Dog & Cat Laws”
‘At A Glance (Details Below)’
What Is Cat Flu?
- Cat flu isn’t influenza or a cold, it’s either a herpesvirus or calicivirus
- Symptoms include fever, anorexia, and eye or respiratory infection
- Many infected cats become virus carriers or have lifelong problems
- Rarer conditions caused by cat flu include arthritis, gingivitis, eye damage, stillbirths & abortion
Now dive deeper. Continue reading “Help! My Kitten Has Cat Flu”
‘At A Glance’ (details below)
If A Pet Has A Heart Murmur
- Don’t panic! A heart murmur doesn’t mean much on its own.
- Learn the signs of heart failure so you know what to look for.
- Get your pet’s heart checked regularly
now dive deeper… Continue reading “Help! My Pet Has A Heart Murmur”
Out of the box came a beautiful and regal young male Ragdoll cat. He was quite a sight; in the prime of life and nearly perfect in health and temperament. But not to his owners, who said, “he’s a monster, we’re going to have to get rid of him.” Continue reading “How To Feed Kittens, Not Monsters”
Are you worried your new puppy or kitten might be deaf? Read on to find out if your pet might be affected.
For more information please also read our guide to deafness & hearing tests in dogs and cats. Continue reading “Congenital Deafness In Puppies And Kittens”
Picture this: it’s 4 o’clock on a Saturday, we’re about to close for the weekend, and a caring local resident brings in a dog they’ve just found wandering the street. We get out the scanner, all set to read the microchip and reunite a dog with his family.
Aargh! We can’t find the owners.
Are raw diets beneficial? There are strong arguments on each side but the jury’s still out. As a vet, I definitely see some dogs who do better on a raw diet.
‘At A Glance (Details Below)’ What to do
When A Dog Or Cat Gets A Cut
- Don’t handle the wound if it looks clean, just keep your pet out of the dirt
- To remove dirt, rinse cuts in a solution of 1/2tsp salt to 1 cup water
- If there is serious bleeding, apply a tight bandage using clean cloth
- As long as you see a vet immediately, a tight dressing should do minimal harm and may be lifesaving
Now dive deeper… Continue reading “Help! Dogs With Cuts & Cats With Wounds”
‘At A Glance (Details Below)’ Emergency Care
How To Get Rid Of Fleas
- Use modern flea killers recommended by vets and pet stores
- Remove fleas from the house and especially pet sleeping areas
- Keep dogs and cats on good flea control to prevent new infestations