If the only way you could have a certain puppy was if they were already desexed, would it be a deal-breaker for you? It would be for me.
It’s not a trivial issue. Many breeds in Australia come already desexed by the breeder before sale. I can see why they do it, but as a vet, it makes me uncomfortable. What’s the big deal? Continue reading “Early Age Desexing and Incontinence”
‘At a glance’ (details below)
Why Dogs Yelp, Cry or Shake Suddenly
- Acute pain is the cause of most yelping ‘for no reason’
- The majority of unexplained cases have neck or back pain
- It can happen when moving, when touched or even while sleeping
Now dive deeper… Continue reading “Help! My Dog Yelps & Shakes For No Reason”
‘Emergency Care’ (details below)
How to Tell Reverse Sneezing from Choking
- Reverse sneezing causes minimal distress and gums remain pink
- It can usually be stopped if you call or distract a dog
- The dog is 100% fine immediately before and afterwards
If in doubt, see a vet immediately. True choking is often fatal. No vet will criticise you for being careful, even if there is nothing wrong.
Now dive deeper… Continue reading “Reverse Sneezing in Dogs”
As a grumpy cat lover, I’m embarrassed to say what gets under my skin. It’s when a cat is so much fun to be around that someone says, “he’s like a dog.” Although it’s meant as high praise, to me it says a lot about how we risk seeing cats. Continue reading “The Top Ten Mistakes Cat Owners Make”
‘Emergency Care’ (details below)
What To Do If A Dog Eats Chocolate
- Chocolate is a nervous system stimulant & causes seizures in dogs
- Death is more likely with dark or cooking chocolate & smaller dogs
- See a vet ASAP to have the chocolate vomited and signs monitored
now dive deeper… Continue reading “Help! My Dog Ate Chocolate”
You’ve got a dog needing treatment and you’ve even got some of your own meds nearby. Can you use them?
The use of non-veterinary drugs is a common question from pet owners. When is it a good idea to give your dog human medications? Sometimes, surprisingly, it is. Just not that often.* Continue reading “What Human Drugs Are Safe For Dogs?”
I have never seen a drug either so hyped or so demonised as Apoquel. If you have a dog that lives with itchy skin and allergies you’ve probably already heard of it. You might have heard of miraculous cures of long-suffering dogs. You might instead have heard of a drug too dangerous to trust. Continue reading “Should My Itchy Dog Get Apoquel?”
Did you see on TodayTonight where a dog went to two different vets and was told it would cost either $2000 or less than $100? The story focused on corporate vets but I don’t think that’s the real story. lf you want to get the vet care you want you need to understand what’s going on. Continue reading “What Cheaper Vet Care Looks Like”
‘At A Glance’ (details below)
If A Pet Has A Heart Murmur
- Don’t panic! A heart murmur doesn’t mean much on its own.
- Learn the signs of heart failure so you know what to look for.
- Get your pet’s heart checked regularly
now dive deeper… Continue reading “Help! My Pet Has A Heart Murmur”
It seems like every dog owner has already heard the news. Chicken necks are causing paralysis in dogs. Now here’s the full story. Continue reading “Is Raw Chicken Dangerous To Dogs?”