Ever wondered about how vet practices are owned? No? I’m not surprised; it really doesn’t matter that much.
For those with a passing interest, though, there has been a bit of a shakeup in the past few years.
Major acquisitions of vets by corporate entities have been happening across Australia. I personally received three letters of interest in one year!
As of mid-2016 there are three major groups active in South Australia. As vets near retirement and find how easy it is to sell to these groups, this list is sure to lengthen. I’ll try to keep it updated but given the fast pace of change and private nature of sales I cannot guarantee the accuracy of this list.
Does Ownership Matter?
It’s still early days, but I don’t think the corporates will cause any loss of quality or service. In fact, they may add a level of training and support unavailable to independent practices, and give a standardised level of care to patients.
Disadvantages might be a loss of diversity in opinion (raw bone feeding for example!), the inability to offer charity to special cases or a gradual escalation of pricing. On the other hand they could also end up providing a very challenging competitive environment which benefits all clients. Only time will tell.
Here are the major groups in SA with interstate connections. There are also several large locally-based veterinary chains.
National group of around 150 clinics, affiliated with Petbarn. Currently owned by TPG Capital, a private equity group.
South Australian vets include:
- Animal Emergency Centre
- Greencross Vets Holden Hill (with PetBarn)
- Greencross Vets Gawler
- Greencross Noarlunga Centre (with PetBarn)
- Greencross Vets Paradise
- Greencross Vets Para Vista
- Greencross Vets Strathalbyn
- Greencross Vets Wellington Road Mount Barker
Vet Partners Australia Pty Ltd
Registered Office: GLADESVILLE NSW 2111. International group of over 80 clinics & growing.
Adelaide vets include:
- Aberfoyle Hub Veterinary Clinic
- AdelaideVet Goodwood Road
- AdelaideVet Prospect (formerly Prospect Road Veterinary Hospital)
- AdelaideVet Stirling (formerly Adelaide Hills Animal Hospital)
- AdelaideVet Trinity Gardens (formerly Adelaide Animal Hospital)
- Angle Vale Veterinary Clinic
- Dernancourt Veterinary Clinic
- Golden Grove Emergency Hospital
- Lincoln Veterinary Centre
- Mawson Lakes Veterinary Hospital
- Northgate Veterinary Hospital
- Paralowie Veterinary Surgery
- Ridgehaven Veterinary Centre
- Salisbury Park Veterinary Hospital
National Veterinary Care Ltd
Registered Office: ORMEAU QLD 4208. National group of around 50 clinics.
South Australian vets include:
- Birdwood Veterinary Clinic
- Woodside Veterinary Clinic
15 vets so far with no doubt more to come. Only one is in SA so far.
- Mount Gambier
By Andrew Spanner BVSc(Hons) MVetStud, a vet in Adelaide, Australia. These blogs are from a series regularly posted on email and Twitter. Subscribe via email here to never miss a story!
Have something to add? Comments are welcome below and will appear within 24 hours of lodging.