Updated November 30th, 2020
There are over seventy different breeds of rabbits. It can seem a bewildering choice until you realise that most of them aren’t available in Adelaide.
How To Choose A Rabbit Breed
- Large vs small? Generally the larger the better when children are involved
- Short vs long coat? Most rabbits for sale in Adelaide have short, easy-care coats, but if you purchase an Angora you need to commit to daily grooming.
- Male vs female. Males are usually friendlier, especially to children. Females are usually a lot better if desexed. WARNING: too many people are sold rabbits as the wrong sex, and only find out when something goes wrong. Watch our video guide to working out the gender of rabbits.
- Breed suitability. View the different rabbit breeds below.
- Availability. In the end it comes down to which rabbits are being bred in your area. Here’s what we have locally:
Different Types of Rabbit Breeds For Pets.
Here are the breeds commonly available in South Australia.
Which Rabbit Breeds Are Best For Children?
The rabbit breeds that are more suitable for children in Adelaide are Dwarf Lop, Dutch, New Zealand White or the Giant breeds. Also read our page on Whether to get a rabbit for a child.
Small Rabbit Breeds
Dwarf Lop & Cashmere Lop
The most common pet rabbit in Adelaide, for good reason. Nice all-rounder.
Mini Lop & Mini Plush Lop
Not as robust as the Dwarf Lop, but still great.
Lovely, small rabbit best for adult owners.
Size: Less than 1.1kg
Very, very cute but a bit flighty and easily injured.
Medium Rabbit Breeds
Not considered good with children, these rabbits have an amazingly plush coat.
Often black & white, the ones we see have longer ears than the photo. Good temperaments.
European Brown Rabbit
This is the wild or feral rabbit found in most of Australia. They make great pets if found when very young. This one is Stewie, one of our patients.
New Zealand White
The ‘classic’ white rabbit, calm and good with kids
Large Rabbit Breeds
Flemish Giant, English Giant etc
Very laid-back rabbits for those who don’t mind a lot of rabbit
What Sex Is My Rabbit?
Is your rabbit a boy or a girl? This video shows you how to know if your rabbit is male or female.