Before you have an emergency, it’s good to know which after hours vet is closest and how you will get there in a hurry. There are four veterinary hospitals open 24 hours a day, seven days a week in Adelaide*. We created this clickable map by comparing travel times to each one from various locations. Please use it to get directions to your nearest vet when your regular vet is closed.
Walkerville Vet is open 8am to 6:30pm weekdays and 9am to 1pm Saturdays. Vets start consulting at 9am.
About The Map Of 24/7 Vets
Along each line the travel time to the after hours vet on each side is approximately the same. That means that the emergency vet between the same two lines as your address should be the fastest one to reach.
- If you are close to a line, it isn’t going to matter much which way you travel.
- Lines are based on Google Maps travel time estimates done on evenings and Sundays. Actual times will vary depending on roadworks and local traffic conditions.
- Times can vary depending on which side of a major road such as Main North or North East road you live.
Now enlarge the map to check the quickest late night, Sunday or public holiday vet to your home!
* “Emergency Veterinary Hospitals” included if continuously staffed through the night and over weekends and public holidays. Other vets offering 24/7 services include Blakes Crossing Veterinary Surgery 72313000 and The Parade Norwood Veterinary Clinic 8363 5323
Here’s what we didn’t expect to find:
- Inner northern suburbs like Prospect are closer to Norwood AEC (that’s the one between the Alma & Orient pubs!)
- Northern suburbs such as Munno Para, Blakeview, Andrews Farm & Smithfield are closer to the new Roseworthy emergency vet service
- Anywhere on the LeFevre Peninsula is slightly closer to Golden Grove thanks to the new roads
- Most people in the Adelaide Hills are closer to Norwood AEC.
“Closer” refers to what matters most to pet owners: travel time, not distance.
By Andrew Spanner BVSc(Hons) MVetStud, a vet in Adelaide, Australia. These blogs are from a series regularly posted on email and Twitter. Subscribe via email here to never miss a story!
Have something to add? Comments are welcome below and will appear within 24 hours of lodging.