Emergency facts (details below):
When a dog suddenly falls over or can’t use their back legs, it’s usually an emergency. You should travel to a vet.
On the way, take a video if you can. Here are some things to look for:
- Is there muscle movement? This is common in seizures or poisonings.
- Is the dog unconscious? Look for a lack of response and passing urine or faeces.
- Are the eyes moving? Vestibular disease causes nystagmus or eye flicking.
- Is the heart rhythm normal? Place your hand on the chest and try to feel it.
- How long does it last? Fainting and airway issues usually only last for seconds.
- Is recovery quick? After seizures, dogs commonly appear incoordinated for some time.
- What was the dog doing beforehand? Cardiac, respiratory and thermal problems are more common after exercise.
Cardiac arrest is an extremely uncommon cause, and therefore it is not recommended to try CPR. You will see that most causes either recover by themselves or require treatment that only a vet can give.
Now let’s dive deeper into each of these causes… Continue reading “Help! My Dog Has Collapsed”
Emergency facts (details below):
If A Dog Eats A Mushroom
- Go to a vet immediately to have it removed
- Do not wait until signs of illness appear
- Wild mushrooms eaten by people are not necessarily safe in dogs, especially if uncooked
Now dive deeper… Continue reading “Mushroom Poisoning In Dogs”
First aid (details below)
If A Dog Has Cane Toad Poisoning:
- Immediately clean as much toxin from the mouth as possible
- Use wet cloth, paper towel or running water
- Seek veterinary help for all but the mildest cases
Now dive deeper… Continue reading “Help! My Dog Was Poisoned By A Cane Toad”
Emergency Care: Xylitol Ingestion
If a dog eats anything containing xylitol:
- Get a vet to induce vomiting ASAP
- If xylitol was absorbed, blood tests will be required
- A glucose drip may be needed to maintain blood sugars until the xylitol is gone
Now dive deeper… Continue reading “Help! My Dog Ate Xylitol”
Recently I’ve seen two Australian Shepherd puppies sold with a list of 52 drugs to avoid. I understand the intention, but this list is incorrect and alarmist. It contains many perfectly safe drugs, some of which will be essential later in life. Continue reading “Drugs To Avoid With The MDR1 Mutation”
One night my own dog started shaking and shivering uncontrollably. Several frantic minutes went by. Was it a poison, was he unwell? The reasons why dogs tremble and shake go from simple to serious.
A minute later he squatted, passed a huge puddle of urine on the floor and the shaking stopped. He was busting to go to the toilet, and no-one realised. We all felt a bit silly, but that’s how hard it is. Continue reading “Causes Of Shaking & Trembling in Dogs”
I’ve been a vet for a quarter century now. Over that time I’ve seen just about everything go wrong that can.
Pet disasters tend to go along recurring themes. If you know what they are, you have an excellent chance to avoid them. Some might be upsetting, but I hope you can see the benefit in thinking about them now. Continue reading “Causes Of Sudden Death In Australian Pets”
‘Emergency Care’ (details below)
What To Do If A Dog Eats Chocolate
- Chocolate is a nervous system stimulant & causes seizures in dogs
- Death is more likely with dark or cooking chocolate & smaller dogs
- See a vet ASAP to have the chocolate vomited and signs monitored
now dive deeper… Continue reading “Help! My Dog Ate Chocolate”
There’s a common, popular treat causing kidney failure in dogs. It’s right there in your local pet store. It drives vets crazy because there’s nothing we can do to stop it except warn you not to buy it. Continue reading “The Problem With Jerky Treats & Tenders”
Emergency care (details below)
What To Do If A Pet Eats Onion
- Toxin absorption can be prevented by immediately seeing a vet to induce vomiting
- If onion has been absorbed then daily blood tests are needed to monitor anaemia
- Please see a vet even if the amount seems tiny: pets vary in sensitivity and the toxic dose is low
now dive deeper… Continue reading “Help! My Dog Ate Onion”